Hattiesburg in the media
This is a list of known mentions or appearances of Hattiesburg in media. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Johnny Carson mentioned a "drive-through funeral chapel" in Hattiesburg on the March 12, 1975, episode of The Tonight Show.
- In an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, "Knifin' Around", which aired on September 2, 2001, Zorak mentioned that he learned to say "y'all" in Hattiesburg.
- In an episode of The Amazing Race which aired on October 18, 2005, contestants were required to find the "southern colonel," aka Southern Colonel Homes on Highway 49
- An episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was filmed in Hattiesburg in December 2009 and later aired on March 21, 2010
- A 2013 commercial from retailer Foot Locker featured various athletes, including Bret Favre. He is shown sitting in Coney Island Cafe unable to finish a piece of pie.
- An episode of Jeopardy which aired June 17, 2015, the $2000 square in the "Pullin' Into The 'Burg'" category in the Double Jeopardy round had the clue "Home to The University of Southern Mississippi, it's the Hub City of the South"
- An episode of Jeopardy which aired January 24, 2019, the $1000 square in the "I Named It After You" category had the clue "Mississippi magnate William Hardy had 3 wives: He didn't name a city for Sallie or Ida, but did name this one for Hattie"
- Portions of an episode of This Is Life with Lisa Ling which aired on October 20, 2019, were filmed in Hattiesburg
- Part of the 1951 movie Go For Broke!, about the Japanese-American soldiers fighting in Europe during World War II, take place at Camp Shelby.
- Portions of the 1978 movie Pretty Baby were filmed in Hattiesburg. In particular, the Hattiesburg train station was used to play the role of the New Orleans train station.
- The 1981 made-for-tv movie Don't Look Back: the Story of Leroy "Satchel" Paige was filmed in Hattiesburg, in particular the Smokie Harrington baseball stadium on the campus of Hattiesburg High School.
- In the 2004 movie The Ladykillers, Tom Hank's character Goldthwaite Higginson Dorr says that he teaches at "the University of Mississippi at Hattiesburg."