Rebel Theater

From Hattiesburg Memory
Jump to: navigation, search

The Rebel Theater was a movie theater located on West Pine Street across from the post office.

The theater was located in the former Lomo Theater building. After remodeling the building, including installing "Hattiesburg's first and only foam rubber cushion seats," the theater showed its first movie on April 12, 1952. Admission for white people was $0.50, while black people payed $0.30 to sit in the segregated balcony.[1][2]

Sometime in the spring of 1959 the Rebel Theater moved a block to the southwest, roughly across the street from where the Hattiesburg Municipal Court is today, to the building formerly occupied by the Ritz Theater.[3]


References

  1. "New Theater to Open Next Month in Old Lomo Building", Hattiesburg American, March 26, 1952
  2. Ad in Hattiesburg American, April 11, 1952
  3. "Ritz Theatre Will Become New Rebel", Hattiesburg American, January 26, 1959