Roberts Schoolhouse

From Hattiesburg Memory
Jump to: navigation, search
The Roberts Schoolhouse, an old one-room schoolhouse on the campus of USM

The Roberts Schoolhouse is an old one-room schoolhouse located on the patio of Owings-McQuagge Hall on the campus of USM. It was built in 1899 in northern Jackson County (roughly 60 miles southeast of its current location) at a cost of $80. In 1922 the school closed. In 1981 the building was disassembled, the pieces numbered and moved to USM, and everything reassembled in its current location.

It is named after Dr. M. M. Roberts, who attended classes as a child in the building.[1]

References