Solar power plant
In early 2015 Mississippi Power and Strata Solar announced plans to build a 50 megawatt solar power plant in Hattiesburg at the industrial park at a cost of about $100 million (about $2/watt) (the Kemper County power plant, by comparison, is expected to produce about 582 megawatts at a cost of $7.1 billion, or about $12.20/watt)). Later the location of the proposed solar power planned was changed to a 460 acre site along Bonhomie Road due to concerns about potential glare shining at aircraft flying near the Hattiesburg airport. The Hattiesburg city council approved the project on October 20, 2015, and the Mississippi Public Service Commission approved the project on November 10.
- Mississippi Power announces plans for largest utility-scale solar projects in the state, press release, April 23, 2015
- Hattiesburg to relocate solar farm project by Tim Doherty, Hattiesburg American, Octiber 1, 2015
- Strata Solar farm approved to build in Hattiesburg by Amanda LaBrot, WDAM, October 20, 2015
- PSC Approves Mississippi Power's Utility-Scale Solar, press release, November 17, 2015
- Ground broken for solar energy facility in Hattiesburg by Lici Beveridge, Hattiesburg American, April 27, 2016
- Mississippi Power solar facility operating in Hattiesburg by Lici Beveridge, Hattiesburg American, September 15, 2017