From Hattiesburg Memory
Jump to: navigation, search
The Colmer Federal Building sits on the site of the original YMCA building

The original YMCA was built in 1915 at 701 N. Main St. at the corner of Main St. and New Orleans St., where the Colmer Federal Building is now. "The front part was demolished in 1960 and the rear part remodeled into the home office for an insurance company." The new building (what is now known as the "old YMCA" was built in 1959 on 12th Avenue near Hattiesburg High School. In 1993 construction began on the new Y on Highway 11 and it opened in 1994. (source: History of Forrest County, p80-81)