Merit Health Wesley
The Ross Sanitorium was established March 1, 1900, under Dr. T. E. Ross, Sr. By 1903 they needed a new building so they became the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad Employees Hospital, located at Hall Avenue and Bay St.. In 1908 it became Hattiesburg Hospital, in 1918 it was King's Daughter's Hospital with 60 beds. In 1921 it became Methodist Hospital. In 1977 they needed a new building and a new location so they decided to build a 201 bed facility 1 mile west of Hattiesburg along Highway 98. They broke ground in 1978. In 1997 the name was changed to Wesley Medical Center. On May 18, 2015, it became known as Merit Health Wesley, reflecting that it is part of the Merit Health network of private hospitals.