Important announcement: Please see the special notice at Hattiesburg_Memory:HB1126
University of Southern Mississippi
Mississippi Normal College opened in fall of 1912 with 230 students and 18 faculty. In 1924 it became State Teachers College, and in 1940 it became Mississippi Southern College. In 1962 it became the University of Southern Mississippi.
"In 1910 the Mississippi State Legislature and the State Teachers Association established the Miss. Normal College. Several southern counties were authorized to issue bonds as a bonus for the location of the college. Three counties made offers and Forrest County was awarded the location due to it and the city of Hattiesburg's offer of $260,000 in cash, 840 acres of land and $50,000 in private donations." (source: History of Forrest County, p 95)
On April 5, 2007, the State College Board voted to name Martha Saunders the ninth president of USM[1], and she served her first day as president on May 21.[2]
List of Original Buildings
- College Hall -- Academic Building
- Forrest County Hall -- Men's Dorm
- Hattiesburg Hall -- Women's Dorm
- President's Home -- Now the Alumni House
- Industrial College -- Not sure if this is still standing or not.
Older But Not Original Buildings
- Southern Hall (originally known as Science Hall)
- Mississippi Hall
- Bennett Auditorium
Other Buildings
- USM Administration Building
- Old school house
- McLemore Hall
- Walker Science
- USM Library
- Science Tower
- Power House
Dorms
- Bond Hall
- Elam Arms
- Hattiesburg Hall
- Hickman Hall
- Hillcrest Hall
- Jones Hall
- McCarty Hall
- Mississippi Hall
- Pulley Hall
- Roberts Hall
- Scott Hall
- Vann Hall
- Wilber Hall
Other
See also
References
- ↑ "Saunders to the top" by Reuben Mees, Hattiesburg American, April 6, 2007
- ↑ "Saunders begins USM presidency" by Rachel Leifer Norman, Hattiesburg American, May 22, 2007