Eureka School was a public school on East 6th Street built in 1921. It opened as a school for black children in grades 1-12. By 1947 it had grown to 1400 students, and a new school was needed. It became an elementary school in 1949 after the opening of Royal High School, a high school for black students. It stopped operating as a school in 1987 and served as an adult literacy center and storage facility for the Hattiesburg Public School District. In 2005 the Mississippi Department of Archives and History designated the building as a state landmark.
In 2006 the Hattiesburg Tourism Commission became the owners of the building and began planning a multi-phase restoration to eventually turn it into a museum. Work was delayed when in 2013 the roof of the building was damaged by a tornado. On October 4, 2018, the building held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of its renovation, and the museum is expected to open in 2020.
- Historical Sketch of Eureka-Royal Street-Rowan School
- "Hattiesburg's Eureka School: From segregated school to civil rights museum" by Ellen Ciurczak, Hattiesburg American, November 22, 2017
- "Behind the walls of Eureka School" , WDAM, December 6, 2018