From Hattiesburg Memory
Jump to navigation Jump to search

January 6

January 13

January 16

January 28

  • Mugshots reopened after being closed for three weeks while remodeling its interior

February 29

March 11

  • Mississippi had its first positive test for COVID-19 after a man tested positive in Forrest county after returning from Florida

April 2

May 10

May 20

June 1

June 3

June 17

June 30

  • Forrest County removed all Mississippi flags from its property after Gov. Reeves signed House Bill 1796, requiring that the existing flag be replaced with a new design

July 28

  • Purple Parrot began a "farewell tour" before permanently closing on August 1

September 7

September 8

  • Officials held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for new public basketball and tennis courts at 900 East 8th Street

September 10

September 23

October 3

  • A privately-funded historical marker on Mobile Street near East 6th Street was unveiled, commemorating the 1950 lawsuit filed by Rev. I.C. Peay against Forrest county circuit clerk Luther Cox after being denied the right to register to vote

October 5

  • Work began on upgrading and renovating the USM message board at the corner of Hardy Street and Highway 49

October 8

  • A statue honoring Oseola McCarty was unveiled on the campus of USM after being installed on October 6

October 28

  • Hurricane Zeta struck the coast of Louisiana as a category 2 storm, then progressed towards the north-east until the western wall passed over Hattiesburg, causing minor damage

November 3

December 7

December 8

December 11

  • Hattiesburg was under a boil water notice for two days after E. coli was found in one of fifty samples taken during monthly tests

December 23

December 28


These are events that don't have a specific known date

  • Nannie Mac's opened sometime in early 2020
  • Applebee's closed sometime in March or April
  • Winn-Dixie on Lincoln Road closed in September
  • Workers began removing the metal siding on the former Regions building on Front Street in downtown Hattiesburg in late November
  • Fourth Street CrossFit moved from its original location at 3805 West 4th Street to its new location at 120 98th Place Boulevard, and rebranded itself to FSFIT
  • Police Chief Anthony Parker retired at the end of the year