Hattiesburg, A Pictorial History

From Hattiesburg Memory
(Redirected from HaPH)
Jump to: navigation, search


By McCarty. AWESOME book with tons of pictures. This could be a primary source for HBurg history and pics. Published by University Press of Mississippi in 1982. ISBN 0-87805-169-4

List of photographs held by USM

List of Pictures

Here's a list of interesting pictures that'd be good to use.

Information

The book also has about 3 essays written by different poeple that have lots of good stuff.

pg 7: First three churches: First Presbyterian Church (1883), Main Street Methodist (1884), and First Baptist Church (1884). Bay Street Presbyterian organized in 1906, Trinity Episcopal Church in 1900. 5th Avenue in 1907, Columbia St. Baptist in 1903. Hattiesburg Hospital was originally Gulf & Ship Island Hospital.

pg 71: Hercules Powder Co. was established in 1920.

In 1937 an econimic report prepared for President [FDR] indicated that the average gross income from farms across the South averaged only $186 a year.

Not sure of the year (prolly early 1940's) but at that time this is how much the average joe would spend per year: $49 for food, $31 for clothes, $12 for medical care, $1 for recreation, $1 for reading, $2 for education.

pg 129: In 1945 the center of Hattiesburg was at the intersection of Main and Pine streets. (Essay by John E. Gonzales (is that the guy the auditorium in LAB is named after?))

Merchants Cafe and K.C. Steakhouse on Main St. and Pickwick Cafe on Pine St. were popular. The first two banks were the First National and Citizens, both on Main St. (this is odd, because looking earlier in the book it appears that there is an older bank (can't remember the name)). Greyhound bus station [...] was located across from the Saenger Theatre (sic) in what is now the Turner Building. Movie theaters: Saenger Theater, Royal, Pick, Lomo, Ritz. Hattiesburg American was on Front St.. Forrest Hotel was the city's largest and finest accommodation.

pg 129: The Highway 39 bypass between 26th and 27th avenues was just completed [...] and was the western city limit except for the college.

pg 129 - 130: Hardy St. was a long two-laned residential street that ran out to Mississippi Southern College where the western city limits of Hattiesburg ended.

First Baptist Church was at Buschman and Main St., Main Street Baptist Church rebuilt after a fire during WWII, 5th Avenue Baptist was on 5th Avenue, the Hattiesburg High School building became the Administration Building.

pg 130: Dossetts was one of the first supermarkets in HBurg after WWII, on Hardy St. Scovill was the first shopping center, on Hardy St.. There were only eighteen permanent buildings (five dating from 1912) on the campus [of USM] when the post World War II boom began. There's also some William Carrey College stuff on this page.

pg 131: By 1952 the county had opened Forrest General Hospital on south 28th Avenue. Thirty years later this hospital, located originally on the edge of a settled area, is in the middle of a growing part of the city.

Hillendale, off of South 28th Avenue, was the second residential section to develop. (?! -- Brad)

1956 - WDAM started

[...] but it was not until the mid-70's (I'm not sure how that actually appears, as "70's" or "seventies") that the ultimate was reached - an air conditioned shopping mall appealed to a wide track area, the Cloverleaf Mall at Broadway Drive and Highway 49.

[...] W. S. F. Tatum home on North Main St. to a motel (now a fire station) [...]

It also says that Hotel Hattiesburg was on Market St. but that conflicts with earlier stuff saying it was at the corner of Mobile St. and Pine St..

The population (in 1982) was about 40,000 (so he says).